In the Kitchen With Kylie - - - Homemade Veggie Frittata
What some people may not know about me, is that I absolutely love to cook. Ever since I had knee surgery in 2009, I have been mildly obsessed with the Food Network. I've learned nearly everything I know from watching the shows on this network, and do claim to be a pretty good self-taught cook if I do say so myself.
This morning, my boyfriend had a few friends over so I wanted to make something special that I hadn't made before for my boyfriend and me in the past. I had seen on Trisha's Southern Kitchen a few days ago an asparagus frittata, and knew that was what I wanted to make!
This took me approximately 30 minutes to whip up, and it's so easy there is barely any maintenance. I would label this a level one for anyone who isn't as comfortable in the kitchen - and it's a great way to impress guests!
Here's what you need:
- Eight whole eggs
- 1/4 cup of half and half
- Half of a white onion, sliced
- 3/4 of a whole pack of asparagus, chopped in once inch bites
- One cup of mixed cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley and basil to taste
Here's what you do:
- Turn the oven on to 400 degrees
- Slice the onion (i sliced and diced the onion so we would get different pieces to bite into, and once they caramelize a little bit so they're so sweet and delicious
- Put about one tablespoon of olive oil in the pan to warm through, then add the onion
- Add the chopped asparagus and cook through with the onion until they begin to soften
- In a separate bowl, mix eight eggs and the half and half and flavor with salt and pepper
- Take an oven safe dish and either spray with Pam cooking oil or add a bit of vegetable oil and use a towel to rub the entire dish all the way up to the sides
- Once the onion and asparagus has softened but still has a bite to it, add it to your greased dish pan
- Pour the egg mixture over the top and add the cheese to the top of it
- Salt and pepper again to taste
- Sprinkle some basil and parsley over the top and add to the oven
- Cook for about 30 - 35 minutes until you can stick a toothpick or a fork through and it comes out without runny egg
- Slice with a knife into triangle pieces, serve and enjoy!